Firstly it is important to know the traits of a winning personality in pageants are.
- Humble & Polite
- Down to earth and social
- Grateful and positive-minded
- Nice presence
- Patience and Easy going attitude
- Good body language
- Good communication skills
Now these are whole lot of qualities and of course only few girls possess all these qualities even in major international pageants. In fact in most national pageants it may not even be possible to find a good contestant with physical beauty and all the mentioned above qualities.
So if you are a pageant aspirant who is perhaps lacking in this department of good personality (and it’s really okay), here are some things you can do.
- Become more positive person. Genuine efforts to become more positive will make you more humble and polite with time. You will become more natural and likable. You will become more solution-oriented and optimistic.
- Meditate everyday – Like just 15-20 minutes every day would also be good. But be regular and commited. It will make you more focused, confident, calmer, clearer about what you want and independent because you will learn with time that you have more control over your moods and feelings that you thought you did.
- Do fun things – Yes! Make a list of things you like to do and do them often. Do them everyday! List down five of your favorite things and do them regularly. It will bring more positivity in your life. You will tend to be happier more of the time. You will become more self-loving and then you have more love to share with others!
- Count your blessings! Start your mornings by making mental lists of things you are grateful for in your life. Actually maintain a book to make a written list can be a better idea since activity writing brings more focus.
- Make lists of positive aspects! Mentally or on paper make lists of likable qualities in the people with whom you interact regularly. Make lists of positive things in your life! Play the glad game of Pollyanna – find things to be glad about in your life and what your life is offering to you!
- It is important to be grateful but it is more important to express your gratitude often. One simple example is being nice to online fans. Even the most successful beauty queens are humble and kind enough to thank their fans for their love. Hard work is nice but without humility and grace, it is like a house with strong bricks but no cement.
- Read about successful people! Recall their stories – how they failed, how they stumbled, how they never lost hope and eventually succeeded. We are all but just bricks in wall. The universe is big and understanding stories of others will help you become more grounded and hopeful.
- Work on your communication skills. If you are not good at English, it is okay! You can use your mother tongue during the pageant. Even in that case it might be a good idea to work on your English skills.
- Use tools to improvise your English. There are books, tutorials, etc. that can help you. Internet is full of many such helpful tools! You can even take a personal coach or join some program to improve your English. There are many options available.
- Read English books and magazines. Watch English movies with subtitles. Communicate in English wherever possible. Practice makes man perfect!
- Read materials on body language! There are some signs of confident body language. Learn about them and put them in practice. Notice the way you walk, talk, sit, look at some and improvise your body language.
- Watch videos of pageants. Watching pageants will help you identify qualities you can emulate. At times just regularly admiring people helps you become a bit like them.
- Practice giving interviews. Try giving answers to questions commonly asked in pageants. Record yourself in videos and check them. Practice speaking in front of mirror. You will be your own coach as you see your strengths and areas of improvements.
- Don’t lose opportunities to speak in front of people! You are going to learn gradually and impromptu tests will only help you get better faster! Participate in elocution contests.
These are some of the things you can do to improvise your personality. Always remember, a man is defined by his thoughts. So think happy thoughts is perhaps the most basic and yet highly effective advice we can give!
Credits: Femina Miss India
Categories: Pageant Tutorials