While the pageant fans are geared up for Miss World 2016 which will be held in the United States of America next month, Indian fans have won more reason to celebrate. India’s first Miss World Reita Faria just completed 50 years of her Miss World victory on 17th November. She won the pageant in London, UK in 1966, defeating 50 other beauties from different parts of the world. Yugoslavia and Greece were 1st and 2nd runner-ups respectively. She was crowned by Miss World 1965, Lesley Langley of United Kingdom.
5 Reasons why Reita Faria’s Miss World win was special
- Reita Faria was the first Asian to win the Miss World title. Until then, beauties from all other parts of the world except Australia (Americas, Caribbean, Africa, Europe) had won the title. After Reita Faria, the next Miss World from Asia was Aishwarya Rai from India who won the Miss World 1994 pageant.
- It goes without saying 🙂 Reita Faria was the first Miss World from India! India has had five Miss World winners by far. Arguably, the Indian Miss World winners have achieved more international success than winners from other countries. Aishwarya Rai and Priyanka Chopra have become global icons. But we need to remember the lady who started it – Reita Faria!
- Reita Faria won ‘Best in Swimsuit’ & ‘Best in Evening Wear’ titles in the Miss World 1966. Now this is rare! In fact, in spite of winning many international titles, no other Indian beauty has achieved this feat till date – not even Aishwarya Rai or Lara Dutta!
- After her tenure as Miss World, Reita was flooded with offers for modelling and Bollywood films. But she didn’t accept any! She wanted to complete her medical studies. Again, this is not common. Apart from her, all Miss World and Miss Universe title-holders from India went on to star in Bollywood films. But Reita was different.
- Reita Faria was the first Miss World to qualify as a doctor. She had completed her M.B.B.S. in Mumbai and later studied in London. She started her practice as a doctor in Dublin, Ireland after marrying her mentor David Powell.
What a fabulous lady Reita was! She has been seen as a judge in Femina Miss India as well as Miss World after her reign. How wonderful would it be to see her gracing the judging panel of Miss World 2016! Knowing how respectful Miss World Organization is generally to it’s alumni queens, it doesn’t seem impossible.
Image Source: Alchetron
Categories: Miss World