On 21st/22nd December, most of the local newspapers had the news about Miss Universe 2015 Fiasco. The host Steve Harvey first announced Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez as the winner and then within few minutes corrected himself stating that Miss Philippines Pia Wurtzbach is the real winner. Miss Universe 2014-2015 Paulina Vega from Colombia had to take the crown from Ariadna’s head and then crown Pia. After crowning, majority of the remaining contestants went straight to Ariadna and some them were even vocal about their dislike for Pia’s victory and what happened. The news went viral and was extensively covered in most parts of the world. Masses sympathized with Ariadna, while the actual winner Pia Wurtzbach lost much of the limelight that she deserved as the winner. Internet was flooded with memes about Steve Harvey and the whole scandal. Overall, it turned into a huge and unnecessary mess. Still, there are some strikingly good things that emerged out from this event.
Miss Universe 2015 Fiasco: A Blessing in Disguise!
- Benefits to Ariadna Gutierrez, Pia Wurtzbach and Steve Harvey
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutiérrez joins Pitbull’s ‘New Year’s Revolution’ As Special Guest
- Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez has been offered $1 million to appear in adult films
- More and more opportunities may open up for Ariadna in coming months. This would not have happened if Steve Harvey had done it right at first attempt itself
- Everything that we seek is for its feeling. Ariadna Gutierrez got the chance to know how it feels to be a Miss Universe even if it was just for few minutes
- It is said that Steve Harvey will now be hosting Miss Universe for more years and he may even host Binibining Pilipinas 2016!
- Steve Harvey, Ariadna Gutierrez and Pia Wurtzbach became way more famous than they would have if fiasco was avoided
- Victory will be more than sugar-sweet for Pia Wurtzbach since she got it after losing it totally for few minutes
- Benefits to Miss Universe pageant
- Miss Universe pageant this year has been covered in national newspapers throughout the world because of this bizarre mistake
- News about the pageant were trending at top on social media for more than a week after the fiasco
- The number of likes/followers of Miss Universe on social media has become very high instantly
- Miss Universe 2015 ended up becoming one of the most talked events of the year
- This huge publicity is of advantage to Fox, IMG/WME and other sponsors of the pageant
- Next year Miss Universe may have more viewers due to the fiasco this year
- Other benefits
- There is an increase in the awareness among people about beauty pageants because of this fiasco
- It is possible that so much attention to pageants may encourage more girls to aspire becoming beauty queens
Thus, just like every cloud has a silver lining, in the same way the Miss Universe 2015 fiasco is slowly turning out to be a good deal, especially for some of those who were most affected when it happened. As they say, nothing ever goes wrong!
Image Credits: Mirror