With the awards season at it’s peak, people are talking a lot about gowns. Even in pageants, particularly the Miss Universe pageants, the commentators talk a lot about the gowns. This year, we got to see gowns like “the one that made her 8 feet tall” (Colombia), “a glass of champagne” (Argentina), “a highly dramatic dress” (USA), etc. Funnily, Jeanie Mai liked all the gowns. How I wish it was so easy to please our fashion expert Roopesh!
So this time for TBT, we picked one of our favorite Miss Universe editions, and asked our fashion expert to come up with his rankings and comments on the same.
Gowns of Miss Universe 2000 Finals
Our experts’ Picks & Comments:
1) Venezuela: Claudia Moreno wore the most spectacular gown of the night. The strapless gown fitted her like a glove! The sequin on bodice were intricate. The whole look was quite “Ocscar Red Carpet” worthy.
2) India: Lara Dutta wore a red off-shoulder sequin backless gown, with a shawl. She completed her look with high bun, tear-drop ear-rings & a ring. She looked flawless.
3) Zimbabwe: Corinne Crewe wore a stunning gold & copper beaded gown, which by the way can be worn even today. The gloves were a bit over the top though. She could have kept her hair open, rather than tying them at the back.
4) Spain: Helen Lindes channelised the inner Grecian Goddess with this white flowy number. The fringe hair-style added a modern touch to the whole look.
5) Colombia: Catalina Acosta wore a stunning mint colored gown with horizontal sequins. She finished her look with a high bun and beautiful pearls.
6) USA: Lynnette Cole wore a side-slit camel colored strapless gown. She finished her look with a bracelet and ear-rings.
7) Canada: Kim Yee wore something quite similar to Miss South Africa. However, the dress was in silver and it fitted her very well.
8) South Africa: Heather Hamilton wore a ivory gown with the same colored ssequins. This fit-to-flare gown did more harm than benefit as it made her hip area look huge.
9) France: Sonia Rolland wore a white and gold lace gown. The gown had gloves and to those gloves, some fabric was attached – it killed the whole look.
10) Estonia: Evelyn Mikomagi wore a simple bronze colored ball gown. The asymmetrical skirt added little drama to this otherwise plain-jane gown.
So which of these gowns did you like? Do you agree with our expert’s choices? Please let us know your valued opinion, we are all ears. 🙂
PC: tpmum.com, VC: Karangolos YT channel