Interesting Facts about Miss Universe 2018 & Miss World 2018 Winners
Finally we have our new duo of Miss Universe 2018 and Miss World 2018. While Miss Universe 2018 crown went to super stunning Catriona Gray from Philippines, the crown of Miss World 2018 went to Vanessa Ponce from Mexico last month week. We have gathered few of the very interesting facts about both the queens. Have a good read!!!
Miss Universe 2018: Catriona Gray, Philippines
- Catriona Gray remains one of the only two Miss Universe winners who also finished into the Top 5 of Miss World pageant. Catriona participated in Miss World 2016 where she was expected to win but finished up as Top 5 finalist. The other woman to achieve this feat was Miss Namibia, Michelle McLean who was Top 5 at Miss World 1991 and ended u winning Miss Universe 1992. Interestingly, Michelle was also one of the judges at finale of Miss Universe 2018.
- Catriona Gray won the maximum numbers of subtitles in her both the national pageants, i.e, Miss World Philippines 2016 and Binibining Pilipinas 2018. At Miss World Philippines 2016, she had won 4 main awards and 7 sponsor awards. While at Binibining Pilipinas 2018, she won 3 main subtitles and 4 sponsors awards. Interestingly, she won 2 most important subtitles of Best in Swimsuit and Best in Evening Gown at both the national pageants.
- Catriona Gray is also one of the only 2 representatives of Philippines who represented the country at more than one major pageants. First being Carlene Aguilar who represented Philippines at Miss Earth 2001 and later at Miss World 2005. Later Catriona became another girl to represent country at Miss World 2016 and Miss Universe 2018.
- Catriona Gray had won her first pageant in 1999 where she was crowned as Little Miss Philippines. She looked absolutely cute in that btw 😉
- Catriona Gray’s swimsuit SloMo walk became so viral that it got reported in national and international online media. Her Instagram followers almost got doubled in 2 days and hit the one million mark after the preliminary. She became an instant sensation post preliminary and her win at Miss Universe confirmed her front runner status.
Miss World 2018: Vanessa Ponce, Mexico
- Vanessa Ponce holds the record of being the oldest Miss World winner till date. Till 2018, it was Diana Hayden from India who was 24 when she won the Miss World pageant in 1997. However, Vanessa was 26 when she won Miss World pageant, making her oldest till now. This record may not break so easily as this is the maximum age criteria of Miss World pageant.
- Vanessa Ponce was the winner of TV based reality modelling show Mexico’s Next Top Model Season-5 that took place in 2014. Interestingly, Vanessa battled out another Miss World alumni from Mexico-Mariana Berumen who represented Mexico at Miss World 2012 and was one of the mega favourite to win the crown that year.
- Mexico finished at runner-up spot multiple times and missed the crown by whiskers at many occasion. Vanessa Ponce became the first Miss World from Mexico in 68 years making her win historical in her country.