Miss Earth: A Clueless Pageant???
Miss Earth 2014 concluded with crowning of Jamie Herrell, the Home to girl, Miss Philippines as the winner. The pageant not only attracted lots of criticism on the crowning the Home town girl (Not that she isn’t deserving but because of the other reasons that we shall be mentioning below) but also raised the question of what exactly the organisation is looking for. Over a period of time, following issues were raised by our team and many pageant fans, which makes us think whether it really deserve to be considered as one of the respected pageants?
1) The biggest storm hit the contest when in 2012, Russian media leaked a video of Miss Earth organisation’s top representative was accused of taking bribe. This controversy surrounded the pageant for many days and got criticized by pageant fans and medias. Another beauty pageant online portal removed it from their coverage forever because of this.
2) The so-called medal system released in 2012, which many believe to be a WORST COPY of Miss World impressive leader board system released in 2011, makes no sense at all. The stunning girl from Turkey, İlknur Melis Durasi, who was topping the medal board failed to make it to top 16 finalists. The stunning Miss Thailand failed to make it to Top 16. Miss India 2014, Alankrita Sahai,who won gold medal in Evening gown, Bronze in National Costume and Swimsuit round fails to make it to Top 16?? How is this even possible? What’s the point of winning medals in the most important categories like evening gowns and swimsuit? We really fail to understand the FUN of having leaderboard with most important categories. Don’t try to convince us saying interview is what decides the results, because 2012 winner didn’t even completed her final answer properly, let alone well spoken. It’s like selecting a Football team based on performance in audition, the one who makes highest goals is not even in the final team saying, he is not good at playing Cricket. Miss Earth needs to think over it.
3) In recent years, Venezuela, Philippines and Brazil have always been on top slot. Each country now has 2 crown and multiple runners up. Though these countries may be sending well prepared contestants but then there is a very predictive pattern that Miss Earth is having, which is hardly found in a pageant like Miss World, Miss International and Miss Universe( although, Latina rules here due to extreme preparations). However, this point may be in our least priority list for analyzing
4) YAHOO BEAUTY FOR A CAUSE was a sham. They claimed that the winner of the poll shall get a direct entry in Top 16. We all saw Nepal and India leading till last moment but neither of them made it to final 16. Also, assuming some other country made it instead of these two (although very very faint chances), then why was there no official declaration from the organisation? Wasn’t it important to them? Then why keep it at first place?
5) Miss Earth is said to be doing advocacy of environment, where once in a while you will see few random contestants doing tree saplings during the contest and finale questions revolving about Global warming and that’s it. We don’t understand the importance of having Eco beauty video here. In Miss World, it is very clear that the girl winning Beauty with A Purpose gets 1.5 times the score of other rounds in Fast track. But Miss Earth gives no importance to this round, considering that Miss Earth is a pageant that was hyped more with social cause due to its history. Miss India 2013, Sobhita Duhipala won Miss Eco Beauty last year but failed to place in Top 16 [Read: Is this why Sobhita Duhipala failed?]. In 2012 and 2014, the winners were not even declared. This gives a wrong message to contestants who puts their hard effort to do some social cause.
Do you think Miss Earth is really going clueless on their path of being a Major Pageant? And it is losing all the good work they did in past?