Public Relations is highly important for any major organization and that includes pageants. The PR activities play a vital role in keeping the pageant fun and interesting for the pageant. The followers would be keen to watch the finals if their interest is maintained in the pre-final activities.
Good PR activities have the potential to establish a momemtum of global interest in the event and that is exactly what Miss World pageant needs at the moment. It is admirable how Miss World is trying out new things every passing year and making it more fun for the contestants, but neglecting the viewers is turning out to be a grave mistake.
Miss World 2016 – PR flaws
- No schedule of events was announced when Miss World begun or even after that. It keeps the followers guessing about what will happen. They end up getting no information inspite of being interested and then end up being confused and blameful. If proper schedule is known in advance, there would be more grace – the viewers can know when to check out the internet to get the updates of their interest.
- Things are totally adhoc! After talent preliminaries, the buzz is that there is no scoring for this competition in leader-board and the winner advances to the semifinals. No one really knows whether Beach Fashion will happen or not! Dude, surprises are nice, but keeping things secretive and unclear is backfiring big-time!
- People accuse Miss World of rigging only because of such dubious ways. It seems to many as if the organization is choosing their favorites and then arranging things to make these girls shine. Now we are not saying this is really happening. May be it is not happening. May be Miss World is a totally fair pageant. But then how will people know! If they are clear about the way the pageant works, if there is transparency, there will be more faith in masses.
- The pageant may be brilliantly organized but if the things are not communicated properly, it comes across mis-organized and leads to disinterest in followers. It’s been years since few questions are not answered – How is Top 5 selected in the finals? How is Top 10 selected from Top 20? There is no end to such questions.
Suggestions for improvement
- Miss World Organization should release tentative schedule of events at the time of arrivals. If there are changes, they should be informed to the people in advance. MWO should give details about the selection processes for events/contests and the judges for various contests.
- Things should be made as clear as possible. If people feel they are part of the process of selection of Miss World, they will enjoy it and embrace it. Multimedia, People’s Choice, voting for Talent – these are nice moves but obviously it’s more about money than winning hearts.
- Miss World needs to clearly announce the format of the main contest at the beginning itself – no more pussy-footing about it! Clear communication is a sign of confidence.
We love Miss World. Criticizing the pageant is just for the sake of identifying improvement areas and we all know that it is easier to improve when we know where we are lacking. Hoping to see the pageant evolve and improve in the coming years!